Sunday, October 4, 2015

'Tigris' Revisited

It had been quite awhile since I used 'Tigris' in my breeding program, but last year I decided to try something different and cross back onto 'Tigris' one of my better hybrid Hulthemia mini parents.  Of course the mini Hulthemia had to be used as a pollen parent since 'Tigris'' pollen appears to be infertile.

I had forgotten how well 'Tigris' seeds germinate (not that you should necessarily try to use 'Tigris' since you don't get many seeds per hip and the seedlings will not bloom during the first year).  There are about 5 'Tigris' seedlings clumped together in the photo below.  The bloom in the photo is coming from a different seedling.  I hope that the 'Tigris' seedlings will bloom next year.  I have had to wait 3-4 years for some 'Tigris' seedlings to bloom.



The seedling below is of a new 2014 Hulthemia hybrid that is many generations down from 'Tigris'.  Some of the old 'Tigris' baggage can be seen in this seedling.  It is fully remontant, however has somewhat angular and thorny growth, although it does have a larger heat stabile blotch.  




3 comments:

  1. Thank you Bekah! Due to its 'Tigris' baggage, I will probably not move forward with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A more feneral question re. Rosa persica hybrids: how is their disease resistance ? I have started growing a few tea roses here in dry-tropical Townsville, Australia, and they work quite well. No blackspot, mildew etc, some wooly aphids, but that's it. We have 9 to 10 month of the year nearly no rain, and 2 to 3 month a lot of rain, heat & high humidity. Would Persica hybrids grow here ?

    ReplyDelete