Sunday, December 28, 2014

Last Blooms of the Year 2014

It is that time of the year again - time to clean out the greenhouse seedling benches.  So far we have potted up the survivors from two of the seedling benches, and two more to go.


Although the seedlings are not their best this time of the year, here are a few photos of the last seedlings that will be potted up.  The first two photos are of a couple of larger roses.  I am working on trying to produce cleaner hybrid tea and floribunda type roses.  They are from a cross of 'Gemini' X [('Marmalade Skies' X 'Baby Love') X 'First Impression'].



The next photo is of one of the better striped Hulthemias.  I am still not completely happy with this group, but we are making some progress.


Then finally to finish, shown below are photos of 2 other Hulthemia seedlings.  They both have 'Blue For You' as the pollen parent.  I am very pleased with the cleanliness and vigor that 'Blue For You' is passing along to it's offspring.  If you breed roses, consider bringing 'Blue For You' into your breeding program.  Thank you Kim Rupert for suggesting this one to me, and thank you Peter James for developing such a healthy wonderful rose.  The first seedling is nearly thornless.










7 comments:

  1. They look great, Jim! You're welcome for the Blue for You suggestion. It really does have amazing vigor, foliage, color and scent. I've raised a few Blue for You X R. Fedtschenkoana seedlings this past year. Can't wait to see what the blooms are like on those! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookin great man. This was my first try at hybridizing roses and none of my seeds germinated. I only stratified them for two months, is that the problem? Also I think they may have been incompatible as a lot of connections are these days

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys! Kim, your cross with 'Blue For You' sounds very interesting - will be fun to see what you get! Hi Dustin, don't give up. The trick is to find good seed parents. Many roses produce seed that have a very low germination rate (like 1-2 % or worse!). I would suggest that you browse the RHA Forum to get ideas on good seed parents. 2 months stratification should be sufficient for most roses. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your great posts and pictures, I really enjoy reading them. I collected some seeds from various hybrid teas I have in my yard last year, and will try germinating them for the first time this spring. They are in the fridge now! I especially like that first pink/salmon you grew there, it looks superb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Daniel, thank you for your comments! I hope that you have 'Gemini'. It has been one of the best hybrid teas for me - good hip set and good germination rate with nice seedlings. Best wishes for some great seedlings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, I don't have Gemini but I've heard so many great things of it that I'm on the lookout for. If only I had more yard space! My favorite is Mister Lincoln, extremely fragrant and very vigorous for me. I collected seeds from Pink Peace and neighbor's First Prize.

    ReplyDelete