Saturday, April 27, 2013

Smoothie Break

Okay, so no roses in this post, but keep reading because this smoothie will rejuvenate you after working in the rose garden.  I have one every morning for breakfast.

First I put in a tangerine (or black plum when they are in season).  Then comes the kale and 1/4 to 1/2 avocado (depending on the size).  Next add 2 teaspoons of sugar (Splenda, Stevia or Nectresse for diabetics, or you may choose to not add any additional sweetener), and a tablespoon of flax seed oil.


Then add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of almond milk and about 3/4 scoop of your favorite protein powder.


Blend all of this together with your Ninja blender (or similar amazing blending device).  After blending in the photo below, I have added frozen berries - strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries (you can also add frozen bananas and there is a "tropical mix medley" available at some stores).  To make a pleasing color, I always make sure to add either blackberries or blueberries.


If there is still some space at the top, I will add a bit more almond milk, but be careful to not overfill or you will have a mess (this is experience talking!)  Blend again, and you will have the best rejuvenation smoothie, or breakfast smoothie you could ever dream of.  I add a handful of roasted or raw (un-salted) almonds (10-15) on the side to make the meal complete.


Try it - if you replace a meal a day, you may also find that it will help you to lose weight.  To your health!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jim! After following you with plenty of interest from Italy for many years, I manage to buy one of your roses Eyeconic via the roses breeder Meilland - richardier. Yellow colour, even if I realize that you offer it in many other colours. I really can' t wait to see it blooming in my garden! Luigi

    ReplyDelete