Monday, March 20, 2017

Happy Springtime 2017! Lilac Update

The lilac seedlings are just starting to bloom.  There are four seedlings this year that are blooming and this is the 4th year since I planted the seeds.  The first seedling below is my favorite.  It bloomed for the first time this year, but bloomed the earliest.  The bloom is more profuse and the flowerets are larger than all of the others, and it has a pleasing lilac fragrance.  A bonus, I took notes on it during it's second year and it had the best heat tolerance with regard to it's foliage.  I will try propagating it this year.


This next seedling was the only one that bloomed last year.  It is my second favorite.


The seedling bearing the smallest clusters is shown below.


This last one is pretty and fragrant too, but the flowerets are incomplete with respect to petal number.  I will probably give this one away to a good home.  Let me know if you are interested!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment