Thursday, March 31, 2016

Invasion of the Caterpillars!

One year it was whiteflies, another year it was earwigs, this year we are overrun with caterpillars at the no-spray Sproul Rose Farm.  They are devouring buds and new growth like crazy.  Certain seedlings appear to be more affected than others, I suppose that they are tastier, where all of the developing flower buds are gone!

Since I have not sprayed at all outside of the greenhouse for many years, I am not going to start now.  Instead, I am getting outside morning and evening, picking the caterpillars off the seedlings using tweezers.






No doubt, this last caterpillar has already engorged himself on many developing rose buds, and is on his way up this stem in search of another meal.  I am happy to say that he did not make it to his next meal...

No comments:

Post a Comment