Wednesday, June 24, 2015

More Random 2015 Seedlings

A handful of seedlings are starting to show themselves as being different from most of the other seedlings.  These 3 will be among the 2015 survivors.

The first seen below is a seedling coming from a cross of 'Singin' in the Rain' X [('Marmalade Skies' X 'Baby Love') X 'Julia Child'].  It has good color and nice fragrance.



The next seedling has the same pollen parent, but a different seed parent.  The cross was:   (<{'Halo Today' X ['Geisha' X ('Tobo' X 'Singin' in the Rain')]} X 'First Impression'> X "Basye's Thornless") X [('Marmalade Skies' X 'Baby Love') X 'Julia Child'].  The petals are almost translucent, but with reasonable substance, so I am interested to see how it does outside the greenhouse.  I hope that it gets a few more petals as it matures.


The last seedling in this post is from a complex Hulthemia cross and has "Basye's Thornless" as one of the grandparents.  The blotch is taking on a more circular appearance.  It is nearly thornless.  Again, I will be interested to see how it performs outdoors since typically the blotches get larger as the seedlings mature.  God willing, I will post photos of these next year as more mature seedlings when they are growing outside of the greenhouse, so stay tuned!




8 comments:

  1. When I saw the last one, the first thing that popped into my mind was whirligig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Yeah it's a strange looking seedling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All beautiful. Any scent on the last one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimmie! Yes, there is some scent (I was pleased to find out today when I checked). Many of the Hulthemias have a strong pleasant scent. This one is more mildly scented, but the fragrance is definitely there.

      Delete
  4. Fascinating. I guess that is the blotch plus white ey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jakub, that would be my guess also. I will be interested to find out what happens with the blotch when this seedling is more mature and grown outside. I am very happy to see that this one has good vigor and that the blotch persists even in the heat.

      Delete
  5. I love those coral colors. I used to have white shrub roses for my landscape but replaced them all with coral flower carpet roses which I think looks phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The white rose with circle it's really spectacular!!!

    ReplyDelete