Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Hulthemia Persica Seeds (Part 2)

In order to rehydrate the Hulthemia persica seeds, I decided to wrap them in a damp paper towel, place them into a zip-lock bag and put them in the refrigerator.  After about 2 weeks, I took the seeds out of the paper towel and found that the paper towel had been darkly stained from the seeds.

The seeds were removed from the paper towel and placed back into the zip-lock bag and put back in the refrigerator for another 6-8 weeks.  Upon removal from the bag, much to my excitement, I found that one of the seeds had germinated!  I knew then that at least some of the seeds were viable.  This was great news.

Additionally, I noticed that the seeds were covered in a yellowish green material, something that I had never seen on rose seeds.  I suppose that it was a fungus.

Next, I divided the seeds into two groups: one group (43 seeds) was planted into the seedling benches along with the rose seeds; and the other group (30 seeds) was planted into a sandy soil mix taken from the native soil in my back yard (5 seeds per pot).

The story will continue…..

No comments:

Post a Comment