Trying to improve on that one, I made many crosses last year between that seedling and several of the Hulthemias. I also did many crosses between the various Hulthemia seedlings and ‘Fourth of July’, and a couple of my own striped seedlings. I am happy to report that we have seen some improvements.
The first photo below is of a new seedling from 2011 resulting from a cross of N210-1 with mixed Hulthemia pollen. It was the only striped Hulthemia seedling that I kept last year and although the blotch was not that impressive, I kept it because there were no other good ones that compared with it. The mature bloom in the photo below, taken this morning, shows the blotch being much better developed than when I saw it as a new seedling last year. Its blotch as a new seedling was not as good as the blotches seen in the petals from the newest 2012 striped Hulthemia seedlings (seen further down in this post). I am hopeful that these will have blotches that will similarly improve as the seedlings mature.
In the next photo, several of the 2012 new striped Hulthemia petals can be seen. We are starting to get more interesting colors.
The petals in the last photo shown below, are of of the best striped Hulthemia from this year. It resulted from a cross between one of my striped seedlings and a Hulthemia code named "M62", one of the cleanest Hulthemias that we have had to date.