Sunday, April 15, 2012

Hulthemias with Form

Although my favorite Hulthemias have 10 to 15 petals, I am liking some of the ones that have enough petals to provide the classic exhibition form as seen in those shown below.  The first seedling has 'Singin' in the Rain' as the seed parent, while the second has 'Pearl Sanford' and the third 'Cal Poly'.  The 'Singin' in the Rain' seedling's blotch is somewhat smaller, so is not ideal, however in the other two, the blotch seems to offer some additional interest.  What do you think?




7 comments:

  1. Beautiful but I prefer seeing the blotch in less petaled blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... Those are amazing! More understated effect than the blotch in fewer petaled blooms, but I think there is something to be said for understatement in breeding. Particularly in the third seedling, the blotch adds a beautiful complexity and depth to the bloom. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Blotch" seems a crude description, but I can't think of a better word! I love the effect, which reminds me of the feeling of curiosity when a garden landscaper partly hides an interesting feature from view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments and insights! My goal is to get the blotch into a spectrum of rose types.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having exhibition form gives your hulthemias elegance and once they are fully open you get a nice blotch surprise. The joy continues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just had to add--the white one makes me think of purity and passion--perfect for a bridal bouquet....

    ReplyDelete