Sunday, November 20, 2011

Greenhouse Unloading Preparations

Soon, it will be time to clean out the greenhouse of all of the surviving 2011 rose seedlings.  The last of the culls, much larger plants than the earlier culls, filled our green waste container.

A week ago, I finished tagging the survivors, 250 in all.  We really don't have room for that many new seedlings.  That means that many of the seedlings that have been saved from years passed will have to go.

For the last few years, I have been using the metal tags shown below (the best that I have found so far) to tag seedlings.  I attach a piece of plastic ribbon so that the tags are easier to find when the plants begin to grow out in the springtime.  "Color-coordinating" each year's seedlings has made for easier identification.  Last year was orange, and the year before was bright pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment